Sunday, December 30, 2007

I said hey...what's going on?

When last we met, I was anxiously awaiting my assignment at my new job. I'm pleased to report that I've been placed in Information Services (a.k.a. reference and/or "Ask-A-Librarian"). This was a bit of a shock at first as I had interviewed for an adult services position within a branch; however, after a day or two in the department, I realized that (as ever) everything happens for a reason. I could not ask for a better place for total librarian immersion as we truly do a bit of just about everything, including filling in on various desks throughout the Central Library. My research skills -- already at a fairly decent level, I believe -- should be off the charts within a year. It's very exciting.

To boot, my department colleagues could not be better. Every single one has been friendly, warm, welcoming, and simply wonderful. They clearly love what they do and can't wait to share it with someone else. I know there will be difficult -- perhaps even frustrating -- days, but I know these folks already have my back and for that I'm grateful to the Fates for delivering me to yet another safe harbor.

Right now, I'm in training/shadowing mode, which isn't terribly exciting even though I'm learning a lot very quickly. Until I have something more riveting to post, I've decided to start a regular weekly post, reflecting the vast myriad of questions we're asked on a daily basis.

WHAT I LEARNED THIS WEEK

* If you wish to study Actuarial Science, you can get a bachelor's degree at five universities in New York City. If you want a master's degree, however, you have to look outside New York State.

* The nursing home up the street from my apartment has a five-star rating.

* There aren't any forensic psychologists in Westbury, NY.

* Working papers are required in New York State for anyone under 18 years old who wants to work or volunteer, even part-time. Most kids can get them from their school, though there is an alternative for those who have dropped out (age 16-17).

* According to USA Hockey rules, a hockey team is made up of six players. Up to 20 separate players can play in each game. If the number of players on the ice are less than four, the team forfeits the game.

My pal Jennie (also a librarian) predicts I will be incredible at Trivial Pursuit in a few months. I hope she's right.

To work tomorrow, then New Year's Day off. Which is probably a good thing as my husband and I have plans involving fancy nibblies and at least two bottles of champagne.

I should also note that my 2008 is already happy as I became an honorary Auntie this week. At long last, my sweet Alice has joined the world and I can't think of a better resolution than to try and be the best aunt (and librarian) I can possibly be.

Here's to the New Year!

No comments: