Friday, December 14, 2007

Learning 2.0: Assignment #17 1/2

Considering Facebook and its associated applications, I'm not sure I see a lot of added value. I admit I'm a bit biased when it comes to "social networking" applications in the sense that I think they are, by and large, popularity contests rather than usable tools. The rare exception, I find, is LinkedIn, which has truly helped me maintain/reestablish contact with a variety of professional pals.

That said, if a librarian has a Facebook account and knows his/her patrons also use Facebook frequently, it could be another way to encourage use of library resources. For example, I could see YA librarians having some success with Facebook (provided their patrons have access to a computer at home or school).

I do have a Facebook account, but only set it up in order to get details for a friend's party months ago. I accept friends' invitations when they send them to me, but don't see myself getting any more involved than I am now. As noted on this assignment, we have so many accounts open now -- when does it become overkill and/or redundant?

No comments: