Sunday, October 7, 2007

Come aboard. We're expecting you.

Welcome to The Leisurely Librarian, where leisure rules and work, though important, is kept in its rightful place.

I have learned over the years (and throughout careers prior to the one I love now) that success is not measured in slogs or hours or being busier than thou. Instead, by encouraging curiosity, creativity, and a solid mental Rolodex of experts, pals and helpful folks, work is more engaging and, therefore, more productive. Not to mention a hell of a lot more amusing, to boot.

My general work/life philosophy? In the immortal words of Mary Poppins: "In every job there's to be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and SNAP! The job's a game!"

(I do consider Mary Poppins -- both the book original and Julie Andrews version -- an important role model. We'll get to the reasons why later, I suspect.)

On the flip side, I despise being bored in my "personal life." And so, leisure is that much more important -- particularly the art of doing nothing in particular when the moment requires.

This journal (despite my choice of server, am I the only one who finds the term "blog" and its associated contractions ugly and non-descript?) will chronicle my life as a burgeoning, fresh-as-a-flower librarian. Some entries will coincide with the Queens Library Learning 2.0 Project and will be marked as such. Most will be my musings, observations, triumphs and travails on this new personal path. With plenty of leisure breaks and smart shortcuts, of course.

And so. Let the games begin!

No comments: