Thursday, December 13, 2007

Learning 2.0: Assignment #8

RSS feeds are an interesting thing. In one sense, they're terribly useful -- especially for someone like me who flits about from interest to interest and has difficulty keeping up with del.icio.us or even simple bookmarks in my browser. Feed readers allow me to peruse journals, news and so forth at my own pace, when I feel like looking at them. Or I can simply think "I can't handle this today" and sweep all the entries away with a mere click. Very satisfying to my "throw it all away" method of clutter control.

That said, I do sometimes miss the design of the original sites, or the ability to follow additional links on the home site that are generally missing from feeds. I also wonder what RSS feeds will do to those who rely on Google ads or similar as a source of income. Hmmm.

As far as Bloglines, it's interesting to use, but I think I prefer the simplicity of Google Reader. I'll play with both and see who wins in the next few weeks. After all, I was a Yahoo! mail devotee until I stuck with Gmail for a while...

No comments: